In 1946, after spending his youth at the school of the great masters of the time, Gino Cenedese founded his glassworks together with the great masters Alfredo Barbini, Gino Fort, Angelo Tosi and Pietro Scaramal.
Remaining sole owner in 1949 following the withdrawal of the partners, Gino Cenedese was able to combine a series of distinctive characteristics: the centuries-old tradition of Murano glass with the creativity of the 18th-century masters, the destiny of being born on an island of master glassmakers with artistic sensitivity and entrepreneurial courage, technical expertise with a vocation for excellence.
Under his leadership, the company soon acquired international fame for the value and exclusivity of its production, establishing itself as one of the most qualified on the island of Murano.
From that moment on, the glassworks developed in two directions: on the one hand, it continued the ancient tradition of Murano art glass, with its classic blown glasses, vases, plates, risers and Venetian chandeliers; on the other hand, it welcomed the suggestions of contemporary art, driven by the continuous search for new techniques and effects made possible by the glass material.
Fruitful collaborations with artists and designers thus developed. From 1953 to 1958 with the artist and sculptor Napoleone Martinuzzi, who created female figures in solid glass, decorative bas-relief panels and large chandeliers. Again, with the painter Luigi Scarpa Croce, who created new shapes in submerged glass. Or, from 1954 to 1962, with designer Fulvio Bianconi, whose creations were exhibited at the Biennale in 1954.
Between 1963 and 1972, the collaboration with the master glassmaker Ermanno Nason developed, who was granted great creative freedom: this allowed him to give life to an extremely varied production, always in search of the highest quality and excellence, which is still unequalled today.
The collaboration with the American artist Harold Stevenson also dates back to this period: he conceived unique sculptures inspired by the changing colours of the Venetian lagoon.
In 1958 Ars Cenedese began his collaboration with Antonio Da Ros, who had just graduated from the Art Institute in Venice: he brought with him a vital and enthusiastic approach to glassmaking, experimenting with new colour effects in submerged glass. At the 1960 Biennale, he presented his ‘Contrappunti’, tones of submerged colours that won him the prize for the glass art section.
Since then, Antonio Da Ros’ works have been presented at various editions of the Biennale and the Milan Triennale, as well as in some of the most important international exhibitions all over the world.